Lentil and Vegetable Soup
I love fall cooking. Cold nights equal warm soups and fuzzy blankets. This is one of my favorite soups to make. This is the original, but I changed it a lot. Besides it being healthy, it just tastes SO GOOD. The lentils really melt in your mouth and the broth is so satisfying. I’ve already made a batch the other night, but I’m sure I”ll be making this throughout the winter as well.
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 celery sticks, chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 tbs minced garlic
- 1½ cups red lentils
- 14 oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 5-10 fresh thyme sprigs
- salt and pepper to taste
- Optional - for a little kick and in my opinion a better soup, add chili flakes and some chili powder.
- Heat olive oil and add carrots, onion, celery and zucchini. Cook for 5 min.
- Add garlic, salt and pepper. Cook for 5 min.
- Add can of diced tomatoes and simmer covered for 8 min. Stirring occasionally
- Add in lentils, broth and thyme. Bring to a boil and simmer covered for 30 min.