Two Fried Pies – Three Ways
Serves: 8 pies
- 1 can of refrigerated cinnamon rolls - regular size (8 rolls)
- 1 apple - Fuji, pink lady, gala (use one that is both sweet and tart)
- 1 banana - ripe
- 2 tsp of plain flour, plus more for rolling dough
- 1 tsp of brown sugar
- ¼ tsp of lemon juice
- dash of cinnamon
- 1 tsp of cinnamon sugar
- oil for frying
- water to seal the pies
- powdered sugar for dusting
- Heat oil to 325 F in a frying pan.
- In one bowl, cut apple into bite size pieces. Toss with lemon juice, brown sugar, flour and a dash of cinnamon.
- In another bowl, slice bananas a little thicker than a nickel. Toss with cinnamon sugar.
- Separate cinnamon rolls. Lightly flour surface and flatten each roll with a rolling pin to 4-5 in diameter.
- Spoon apples (a little more than a tablespoon) onto one side of the circle. Fold dough over to form a crescent. Dip fork in cool water and seal edges. Repeat to make 4 apple pies and 4 banana pies.
- Drop 2-3 pies in hot oil. Don't crowd. Turn as the dough browns (1-2 mins per side).
- Drain on paper towels.
- Let pies cool slightly. Dust with powdered sugar, drizzle cinnamon roll icing, or drizzle with caramel sauce.