#QUARANTINEMEALS | Volume 5
Welcome back to WEEK 5 of #QuarantineMeals! Thank you all for rockin’ with us over the past month!
It’s truly been a fun experience being able to share these recipes and hopefully you’ve had an incredible time creating these delicious meals.
When I created #QuarantineMeals I didn’t want to simply share these meals to the internets… I wanted to share these meals so that you could create them on your own, or with your family and loved ones. I wanted you to be able to jump on a zoom call with your friends and enjoy these meals together! #QuarantineMeals was intended to be an escape from the daily routine, an opportunity to be creative with your food and enjoy quality time with the person or people you care about the most, even if it’s just YOU.
Last week, a member of our community and a personal friend of mine, Sush, shared a delicious homemade spaghetti meal that he’s been cooking during the quarantine. This week we are blessed with yet another quarantine meal provided to us by a good friend of mine Adrian Enningham aka Drain aka Big Drain aka DrainFlix! Best known for being the official photographer of the Drink Champs Podcast, Drain is also a producer on the show and a dope music producer as well, working with artists like Bun B, Cormega, Defari, Da ALL, just to name a few.
This week on #QuarantineMeals – Drain took the time to share with us a delicious IPA Battered Baja Fish Tacos recipe that he’s been making during the quarantine. Super easy to make and super delicious in taste! We hope you enjoy creating this meal just as much as we enjoyed eating it. lol.
If you have some favorite meals that you’d love to share, drop a line! Hit me up and let me know what you’re cooking, who knows we might feature it next time!
I hope you all enjoy these #QuarantineMeals. Please let me know how they taste and if you’ve enjoyed creating them! #STAYHOME
IPA Battered Baja Fish Tacos
This is my rendition of beer battered Baja Fish, folded up in to some warm corn tortillas, then topped with picked onions & slaw with creamy spicy mayo. YUM!
Servings: 4 | Total Time: 25 – 35 Minutes
- 4 cups (8 – 10 oz) shredded cabbage (Preferably red but you can also use green like I did).
- 4 tablespoons pickled red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
Spicy Mayo Sauce
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon of ketchup
- 1 teaspoon of lime juice
- 1 teaspoon of Sriracha sauce
Mix it up! Mix it up! And refrigerate until ready to use.
- 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
Whisk first 3 ingredients and 1 cup water in a small bowl until sugar and salt dissolve. Place onion in a jar. Pour vinegar mixture over. Let sit at room temperature for 1 hour.
*NOTE* DO AHEAD: Can be made 2 weeks ahead. Cover and chill. Drain onions before using.
Beer Battered Fish
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup of the finest IPA beer
Fish and Tortillas
- 1-1/2 pounds skinless white fish (preferably cod fish… but any white fish will work. I used a Corvina Fish in this example) cut into 1-inch wide x 4-inch long strips.
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 12 (6-inch) soft corn tortillas, warmed
- Lime wedges & avocado for serving
- Toss the cabbage, red onion, cilantro, vinegar, oil and salt together in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Combine the spicy mayonnaise ingredients & set aside.
- Mix the flour, salt and pepper together in a medium bowl. Gradually add the beer, whisking until the batter is smooth with no lumps. Set aside.
- In a medium skillet, over medium heat, add enough oil to reach a depth of 1/2-inch. Heat the oil until a deep-fry thermometer registers 350 degrees F, or when the end of a wooden spoon sizzles when dipped into the oil.
- Working in batches so as not to crowd the pan, dip the fish strips in the beer batter and coat on both sides. Let the excess batter drip off, then fry the fish in the hot oil until golden brown and cooked through, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels to blot drain.
- Smear each tortilla with a generous amount of the spicy mayo top with the cabbage slaw. Lay one piece of fish inside each tortilla, top with avocado & the pickled onions and serve with lime wedges.
A Stay At Home Playlist Curated by DJ EFN & JAE HAVANA
Enjoy these home cooked meals with some dope hip hop! Quarantine Raps is an exclusive stay at home playlist featuring music from some of your favorite hip-hop artists. Please visit CrazyHood.com for more information.