Homemade Cheese Dip
I stumbled upon this recipe a few months back. The title said “Skinny Queso” and I’m not too sure why it’s skinny, but I went with it. Pretending it was healthier definitely made it easier to eat more of without the guilt, which I’m not sure is a good thing…
Make this the next time you hang with your friends or are watching a game together. I added a few different things to the recipe, but it came out wonderful.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1¼ cup skim milk
- 3 Tbs cornstarch
- 1 10-oz can of tomatoes with chiles, drained
- 1¾ cup reduced fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- green onions, chopped
- In a small bowl, whisk the cornstarch and ¼ cup of milk. Set aside.
- Bring a saucepan to medium heat and spray with cooking spray.
- Saute the onions, garlic, green peppers and jalapeno for 5-7 min. until they soften.
- Add the chicken broth and milk. Bring to a simmer and let it cook for 3 min.
- Add the cornstarch mixture to the pan and stir quickly. It will immediately thicken up and begin to bubble. Once you see it thicken, turn the heat to low.
- Add the cheese and stir until it's all melted.
- Add the cilantro, lime juice, tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Stir.
- When ready to dig in - add green onions on top.