Irish Car Bomb Cupcakes
On St. Patricks Day it’s all about the car bombs. That’s why these car bomb cupcakes were created so you could enjoy them after you chug your drink.
Drink and eat on.
- For the Cupcakes:
- 1 cup Guinness Stout
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- 2 cups AP flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1½ tsp baking soda
- ¾ tsp salt
- ⅔ cup greek yogurt.
- For the Ganache Filling:
- 8 oz bittersweet chocolate
- ⅔ cup heavy cream
- 2 TBS butter, at room temperature
- 2 tsp Jameson Irish Whiskey
- For the Frosting:
- 1½ sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 4½ cups powdered sugar
- 4-6 TBS Baileys Irish Cream
- To make the cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 24 cupcake cups with liners. Bring the Guinness and butter to a simmer in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the cocoa powder and whisk until the mixture is smooth. Cool slightly.
- Whisk the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat the eggs and sour cream. Add the Guinness-chocolate mixture to the egg mixture and beat just to combine. Add the flour mixture and beat briefly. Using a rubber spatula, fold the batter until completely combined. Divide the batter among the cupcake liners. Bake about 17 minutes. Cool the cupcakes on a rack.
- For the Whiskey Ganache Filling: chop the chocolate and transfer it to a heatproof bowl. Heat the cream until simmering and pour it over the chocolate. Let it sit for one minute and then mix. Add the butter and whiskey and stir until combined. Let the ganache cool until thick.
- To Fill the cupcakes: Cut the centers out of the cooled cupcakes, going about two-thirds of the way down. Transfer the ganache to a piping back with a wide tip and fill the holes in each cupcake to the top. (I used a zip-lock bag and cut off the corner)
- To Make the Baileys Frosting: Mix the butter on medium-high speed for 5 minutes, scraping the sides of the bowl occasionally. Gradually add the powdered sugar until all of it is incorporated. Add the Baileys and mix until it is light and fluffy. Frost the cupcakes and add sprinkles (optional)
Follow me on Instagram @jewelnicole8