(Gluten-free) Slow Cooker Greek Chicken and Pasta
If you’re like me, you might have heard about gluten-free foods, but never really understood what it all meant. When we first considered the transition to a gluten-free existence, I was nervous that it wouldn’t be manageable/ sane/ reasonably priced/ realistic/ fun. It was hard to imagine a life without wheat, flour, and bread. For me, a girl who LOVES to eat, it seemed like it just might not work. After eight successful months without gluten, we are happy, if not happier and feeling even better than we were before this journey. This (easy!) recipe has been “tweaked” from a go-to in my old (full-of-gluten) life, to be entirely gluten-free.
- 2 green bell peppers, in strips
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 t olive oil
- 5-8 chicken thighs or drumsticks, rinsed (and patted dry)
- ¼ t black pepper
- ½ t salt
- 1-2 cloves of minced garlic or ½ t garlic powder
- 1 T dried oregano
- ½ t dried rosemary
- 1 box/ bag gluten-free pasta (we like Trader Joe's brown rice pasta)
- 2 oz feta cheese (optional, but delicious)
- chopped fresh parsley (optional, but also delicious)
- Coat slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add pepper strips and chopped onions.
- Heat olive oil in a pan over medium-high heat, until hot. Brown chicken pieces (with skin on) on both sides. Transfer to slow cooker--chicken is fine to overlap here.
- Add all spices, except parsley (ie: pepper, salt, garlic, oregano, rosemary).
- Cover. Cook on low for 5-6 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
- Cook pasta according to directions, just before you'd like to eat.
- Top pasta with chicken, peppers and onions, fresh parsley, and feta.