#ThirstyThursday: Burgers & Beer At The Cecil in NYC
By now you already know the drill: YGET’s staff is dedicated to school you where to get your grub and drink on. If you love cheeseburgers and cold brews as much as as we do, then you’ll be happy to know that this summer, Esquire Network and Budweiser are hungrily on a mission to find the next best iconic classic in St. Louis, the birthplace of burgers and Bud. This new original reality series calls out to weekend warriors and rising culinary titans across the nation for their perfected version of one of the country’s greatest obsessions. Whether the grill is a weekend passion or a daily fixation for these contenders, this six-part competition series will pit burger against burger to decide who will claim the hefty prize and the right to call their creation THE NEXT GREAT BURGER.
These burger bosses will descend upon St. Louis, where it is said that the first-ever hamburger was likely paired with an ice cold Budweiser at the 1904 World’s fair, to cook and serve their burger for the judges and a crowd who will weigh in with their votes. Brewmaster Bryan Derr will be on tap to determine which burger best complements the smooth taste and clean, crisp finish of a Budweiser. At the end of every episode one winner will advance on, while the other contestants are sent packing.
The five winners of the stand-alone episodes will be joined by the winner of the Bud and Burgers Championship, and the six will compete for the ultimate prize in the finale. In the end, one burger will be crowned as THE NEXT GREAT BURGER, and the winner will be awarded this ultimate title, along with a $25,000 prize.
Check out one of the signature burgers by contestant Aram Reed after the jump! It features ground sirloin, aged cheddar and a fried egg all served on a pretzel bun.
- 1.5lb beef sirloin, ground
- 12 oz beef brisket. ground
- 12 oz beef chuck
- 2tsp Chicago Spice House Steak and Chop Rub
- 1tsp Kosher salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 6 Slices, Aged Wisconsin Cheddar
- 6 Large Farm Fresh Eggs
- 6 slices Apple Wood Smoked Bacon
- 6 Pretzel Rolls
- 1 C Aram's Smokey Tomato Sauce
- Combine beef and spices in a large bowl and mix evenly. Form 6 patties and place on sheet tray.
- Separately cook bacon to desired temperature and cut open the pretzel rolls.
- Turn Grill to Medium heat. Grill burgers one side for 4 min and then flip. Top with cheese so it will melt. Remove burger from grill after 3-4 min. This should be perfect for cooking medium temperature burgers.
- Spread Tomato Sauce on both buns, and begin to build your burger.
- Top with Over-Easy egg and serve!
- NOTE: Chef Reed advises you fry your egg while the burger is cooking for 3-6 minutes (depending on how runny you like your eggs).
Those of you who aren’t fans of the kitchen can head to Cecil’s in Harlem, NYC, to try Chef JJ Johnson’s — co-host & judge on THE NEXT GREAT BURGER — signature burger on the menu; a double-patty burger that is topped with Aged White Cheddar Cheese, Mizuna, sliced Tomato, and JJ’s secret-recipe Peanut Tomato Spread.