Two Fried Pies – Three Ways
Two Fried Pies - Three Ways
Recipe Type: Dessert
Serves: 8 pies
I was looking around for a recipe using apples. My parents have apple trees on their farm. I was thinking fried apple pies but I hate it when my dough and filling fall apart. I was looking around the fridge and saw a can of cinnamon rolls. (Light Bulb Glowing Brightly!) So, fried apple pies using cinnamon rolls as my dough. But wait, another twist. My daughter walks in as I'm frying the 2nd pie and says "ooooh, why don't you make some with bananas?" (Another light bulb, 150 watt, 3 way) I had planned to drizzle the icing that comes with the cinnamon rolls. I thought dusting it with powdered sugar would be lighter. Then I remembered I had some caramel sauce I had made the night before (much better than the jar stuff). So, this is how it came to be Two Fried Pies - Three Ways. You can try other combinations as well. As I was cleaning up, I thought about the "Elvis Fried Pie". Bananas and peanut butter filling in cinnamon roll dough fried and dusted in powdered sugar. It sounds like something you would have at the State Fair. At least you can get a serving or two of fruit for the day.
- 1 can of refrigerated cinnamon rolls - regular size (8 rolls)
- 1 apple - Fuji, pink lady, gala (use one that is both sweet and tart)
- 1 banana - ripe
- 2 tsp of plain flour, plus more for rolling dough
- 1 tsp of brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp of lemon juice
- dash of cinnamon
- 1 tsp of cinnamon sugar
- oil for frying
- water to seal the pies
- powdered sugar for dusting
- Heat oil to 325 F in a frying pan.
- In one bowl, cut apple into bite size pieces. Toss with lemon juice, brown sugar, flour and a dash of cinnamon.
- In another bowl, slice bananas a little thicker than a nickel. Toss with cinnamon sugar.
- Separate cinnamon rolls. Lightly flour surface and flatten each roll with a rolling pin to 4-5 in diameter.
- Spoon apples (a little more than a tablespoon) onto one side of the circle. Fold dough over to form a crescent. Dip fork in cool water and seal edges. Repeat to make 4 apple pies and 4 banana pies.
- Drop 2-3 pies in hot oil. Don't crowd. Turn as the dough browns (1-2 mins per side).
- Drain on paper towels.
- Let pies cool slightly. Dust with powdered sugar, drizzle cinnamon roll icing, or drizzle with caramel sauce.